In Perfect Harmony: 50 Inspiring Stories from Choral Musicians Around the World
The human voice is our original instrument. Millions of us around the world express ourselves through choral singing or conducting. Whether we seek to perform as a social or creative outlet or simply for the joy of making music with others, choral music-making brings us joy, inspires us, and provides much-needed balance in our lives. Author Tony Thornton is now accepting story pitches for an exciting new anthology series containing inspiring and heartwarming stories about the incredible experiences we share through choral music.
How has singing with others affected your life? Do you have an inspiring story about your work with singers with special needs? Did you attend a life-changing rehearsal or performance? Was there an unforgettable choir tour or festival that changed your life? Did you meet the love of your life in choir?
As choral musicians, we are storytellers, weaving narratives through text, emotions, sonic beauty, and expression. We know that there are stories from all over the world about the soul-stirring power of choral music: the joy, inspiration, laughter, tears, awe, and goosebumps that are profound for both performers and audiences. We are a worldwide community of choral musicians, each with an extraordinary story to tell, and we eagerly await to be inspired by yours. Submit your story idea now.
The following are suggested to help spark your memory of a great story you wish to share.
- The importance of belonging or becoming part of a choral music community
- I met the love of my life in choir
- My “fur baby” (pet) sings along when I practice my choral music
- A choral rehearsal or performance that changed my life
- My child loves choir! The pride I feel watching my child perform
- Why I love to sing and why choral singing is so important to me
- The funniest thing happened during rehearsal
- Choir: Creating something more beautiful and meaningful together than any one person could create alone
- The choir room as a safe space
- GALA Choruses: Awe-inspiring festival experiences
- The healing/restorative power of singing together
- My experiences working with singers with special needs or my experience as a special needs singer
- Experiences working with the homeless or prison choirs
- A Choir of Angels: Experiences singing for those who are dying in hospitals or hospice
- My choir family: Gratitude for amazing people and musical collaborators
- Choir tours and learning about other cultures
- Unity through choral performance